“Input Indicator” Icon Comes Back in Taskbar Notification Area After Restarting Windows or “How to hide Input Indicator icon in Taskbar Notification forever Area After Restarting Windows?” This is a very popular question about an error in Windows 7 and later.
I am having a strange issue in my Windows 8.1 Update 1. I added Local language to my language list in Control Panel -> Language. I don’t need the Input Indicator on the system tray, so I went to Control Panel -> Notification Area Icons -> Turn system icons on or off, and turned off Input Indicator. Now the problem is, when I reboot Windows, the icon comes back and the setting above resets to default! I see this in Windows 7 too. So Windows “forgets” my settings? Odd! Please, How to get rid of it? I even suggest you to write a separate article about it. Thanks so much for your kind work.
Actually its a known bug present in Windows 7 and later. It might also present in Windows Vista and XP but I never saw this bug appearing in those OS.
How to hide Input Indicator icon in Taskbar Notification forever
What happens during this problem/bug:
1. You add more than one language in Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 and you try to disable/turn off language input indicator icon in notification area (or system tray) of Taskbar.
You open Taskbar Properties and click on “Customize” button present in “Notification area” section. Then you click on “Turn system icons on or off” link and set “Input Indicator” icon to Off and apply changes.
It removes Input Indicator icon from Taskbar notification area.
2. Now you restart Windows and Input Indicator icon comes back in Taskbar notification area. When you check the settings to turn system icons on or off, you find the “Input Indicator” icon has been reset to On.
So you can’t permanently disable or turn off “Input Indicator” icon in Taskbar notification area and that’s the bug.
The solution is simple. If you are facing this problem, follow these simple steps to permanently hide “Input Indicator” icon in Taskbar notification area:
1. Open Control Panel and click on Language icon.
2. Now click on “Advanced settings” option given in left-side pane.
3. Enable “Use the desktop language bar when it’s available” option present in “Switching input methods” section.
4. Now click on “Options” button and set “Language Bar” option to “Hidden“.
Save the changes and it’ll permanently remove “Input Indicator” icon from Taskbar notification area and it’ll no longer reappear upon system restart.